Saturday, February 23, 2008

Truthseeker or Critic?

I always ask myself if I am being critical. I was told today that I am always criticizing. Maybe its because I’m always asking questions and asking if what we do is found in scripture. I can say that I am always teaching and making comparisons to what is done and what God’s word says about it.

At the church I grew up in which is located in DC (Baptist), there are many traditions. One of which is for Black History Month. Every year, they dedicate the last Sunday of the month to honoring the founding pastor (the anniversary of his death), singing a Negro spiritual, and dressing up in African attire. I guess some may see nothing wrong with it. But is it really necessary? Is it something that the founding pastor would approve of? Is it holding up a man instead of just recognizing that he was a vessel God used?

My problem with it is that it I don’t believe we should be remembering the anniversary or celebrating the life of anyone except the Lord. I believe it is an idol. I’m not perfect in any way. I have faults and I have issues that have to be dealt with by the Lord. I commented on it because it sat wrong in my heart and my mom accused me of criticizing. I shut up and didn’t say anything else. But it hurts when you point out things that are unbiblical and your own family accuses you of criticizing. I didn’t just speak about it as if it were my own opinion. I don’t have an opinion about it except what the Lord has said. If I were to look at it apart from God’s word, I would have no problem with it. I had attended for years and probably would visit on special occasions like this, because I loved Pastor King, too. He’s been dead for over 10 years and I haven’t forgotten him. I don’t expect any of the others to forget him, either. But the need for continuing this tradition seems to be more for the people to tell stories and be recognized as being the first members rather than magnifying what God has done in their lives or in the lives of those in the community.

It is the little things like this that are the little foxes that spoil the vine. It is the little things that are the leaven that leavens the whole lump. I think we have gotten so far from scripture that we do and accept everything. Maybe I am being critical. But is criticizing, assessing, comparing, weeding out, etc. a bad thing?

I want Truth and God’s word is Truth. I want my life to be ruled by the Word. I want the same for my mom, my daughter and my siblings. But maybe I want too much. I am resolved to pray and examine my own heart. Sometimes I think that I should just keep my mouth shut and nobody will get hurt…

3 comments:

Joshua said...

We are like-minded on this matter. I'm continually comparing the present day church to the apostolic church. Is it wrong to point out areas that glorify man rather than God? Certainly not. People don't like to the hear sweet church traditions being questioned. Just because it may be sweet and kind, that doesn't mean that it glorifies Christ.

It is sad to see the church NOT striving for a Christ-honoring focus. Not every Christian desires to go deeper, farther, and more abandoned to God. I think there is a fear of that God will make them change or make them a Bible thumping Jesus freak. What if we are labeled Jesus freaks?

Truth is fleeting Melissa. It is becoming more irrelevant to our culture. Would God be more displeased with our lives if we spoke His truth excessively or if we made everyone happy by saying nothing? If we are to seek His honor, then we must sacrifice the honor of man. It hurts the pride of man to do this, but we were made to glorify God.

Dead Theologians said...

Melissa,

If you were silent, I would lovingly call you out and say that you need to speak up. It is not about family, friends, or previous leaders. It is about our Great King and no one else. Speak, even if no one else does.

DT

KeeperatHome said...

I think we must also bear in mind the timing and our audience when we share the truths of scripture.

I don't know if we are to share everything at everytime. There may be a time when we notice something unscriptural, but we must ask the Lord if this is the time, place etc. to make the issue known. I'm not talking about blatant issues that bring salvation into question, but lesser issues. But even then, we must ask the Lord to give us the words.

Further, if our audience is one steeped in tradition or immature in Christ (I'm not saying that your mother is!;-)), then we should not be surprised or dismayed by a negative reaction -- we should expect it.

I struggle with making the distinction between truthseeker or critic within myself. I believe we are to be discerning and stand for the truth, but I do not believe we are to be critical which tends to have a negative connotation -- harsh or severe in judgment. It is a fine line to walk as it involves our motives as well. In Christ, Talya