Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thoughts, Words, Deeds

2 Corinthians 10:4-5

"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ"

Yesterday, I had to repent. I have been so focused on other things that I have neglected study of the Word and intimacy with my Lord. It is so easy to look at and get caught in things other than Christ.

I had been feeling dryness and emptyness, yet there were people who asked me for counsel...(and listened to what I said!); yet how can I counsel with God's word? I need direction in some areas of my life and I have been waiting, but how can I wait on God if I do not wait on Him in focused prayer and study? I wanted to really study theology, but I had to examine myself as to my motives. I found that it was not a study to know the Lord more, but to be able to refute others who did not agree. That's not cool...

I was listening to "Life Verses," as sermon by Paul Washer and as he went along from Jeremiah 2:3 to 2 Corinthians 10:5, I came under conviction. I repented of give counsel without the Word of the Lord. I had not realized that I had given an opinion to someone that did not also contain concrete scriptural support - chapter and verse - although I believe it is supported by scripture. I also had to repent of neglecting so great a salvation as what has been given to me. Praise God for his grace and mercy that reined me in before I did any harm.

Fearing God...

I have to remember that I will stand before Him and give an account of every idle word spoken and of my deeds (Matthew 12:36, Romans 2:6). I want to stand before Him and hear that I was faithful to what He has given me. I want Him to be pleased with all that I do. I want Him to direct me, whether that means saying something or being silent. I want my heart to be fully His, with no desires, opinions, or actions of my own will.

For "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).

So my thoughts must be under the control of His Spirit. I must not entertain any thought that sets itself against God's truth. Through His Word, I will have a renewed mind (Romans 12:2) and meditate on things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8).

The Lord has been showing me also who I am to be in Him. So I am trusting Him to get rid of the road rage (we have horrible traffic in the DC area) and to give me patience in my workplace and other areas. I am trusting Him to continue to remind me to come unto Him and learn of Him (Matthew 11:28-30). He has a great work to do, but I can be confident in His promise that:

"...He who has begun a good work in [me] will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6).

So let's "...consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls" (Hebrews 12:3). Let us "ehold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!" (1 John 3:1).

And let's remember that our thoughts can lead us down a path that travels away from our Lord...


6 comments:

S.J. Walker said...

Well put. And something I have had to repent of myself.
Pray for me, I am scheduled to speak at a men's breakfast this coming Saturday. Many at this Church are "lukewarm" to the point of being near death. I hope to post the basic text of the sermon soon,

In Christ,

Sam Walker

Melissa said...

Sam, I will keep you in prayer. I will also ask the sisters who meet with me for bible study to pray also; that you may boldly proclaim the gospel truth of our Lord and Savior. We will also pray for the hearts of the men; that their hearts will not be hardened but that they will either be cold or hot and that God will have mercy upon them.

Your Sis,
Melissa

Coram Deo said...

Though we'll surely face disappointments during our time in this world so long as we keep standing upon and trusting in God's Word we certainly won't be disappointed in the world to come.

Melissa said...

Our Lord is so gracious, CD, and I cannot express in words how grateful I am that His thoughts and ways are higher than ours...that we can truly trust Him!

KeeperatHome said...

Thanks for that post. That was truly a blessing. In Christ, Talya

Mr. Horton Sr. said...

That is great Melissa, I really enjoy reading what you write. Repentance is one on the evidences of growth in the believer, God Bless you sister!